Wednesday 23 September 2009

Swine Flu...

I suppose really, when you consider my job, it was really only a matter of time before it happened....and when you consider that we were having a fierce debate the other day about whether we would want the vaccine or not, really, it was asking for trouble...

Since Thursday night when I came home with a head that was not my own, I have spent much of the time sleeping and aching and sleeping and taking Tamiflu and wondering when my head would become my own again. They don't tell you that the Tamiflu makes you seasick. Or that even as the flu starts to pass, you will be left utterly, ridiculously drained. I am both incredibly vexed and a little amused at myself...I get up to make a cup of tea and find myself yawning and in need of a nap!

But today I have made it into clothes for the first time, and am sitting on the sofa instead of being buried in bed. I am still napping lots, but I have the energy to come online! I have so much to catch up with you all about....there are little things, like the pretty autumn leaves that I have been snapping, and bigger things like the back garden afternoon tea we held for my Mum's birthday. I am so worried that when I sit down to write some posts, that I will forget things that were important at the time. I am going to have to look back over the photos that I have been taking to remind myself of what happened!

Even without a fluey head, I find that time seems to pass so quickly...things that I have been looking forward to, savouring the thought of suddenly happen, and before I know it, it is a week later. How does it happen?

I don't want this to be a gloomy post though, so here are some happy thoughts...I have a beautiful bunch of Honesty in a cheerful red vase which looks so beautiful to me. I will have to take a photograph so you can enjoy it too. It is a really abundant bunch, and it only cost 50p from the WI market last week! I want to keep it as it is for a long time, but when I was blog visiting just now, I saw a beautiful thing where someone had glued individual papery honesty circles into heart shapes to hang up. So pretty! The only thing that would make this bunch even nicer would be teeny tiny fairy lights twinkling amongst them!

The air is scented with leek at the moment...now that doesn't sound as scrumptious as it really is! For a while now I have been thinking about how we do our shopping and cooking, and have tried out several ways of doing it, from a monster monthly supermarket delivery to buying a little bit every day. Today a nice man from Abel and Cole delivered our first organic mixed vegetable and fruit box, and it looks utterly scrumptious. I want to post about this in detail, so am trying to restrain myself from talking too much about it here, but oh, it all looks so, so good! (And they included oranges, just as I was thinking that I should be eating plenty of vitamin C so I don't go down with anything else!).

I will leave you now as I feel another nap coming on...but I will be back, and with pictures too! But before I go, now that we are properly into Autumn, I am starting to think about a signature scent for our little flat, and a signature flavour too. I think that the flavour is going to be cinnamon- think cinnamon lattes, cinnamon on my morning porridge, cinnamon biscuits....but what shall I have to burn in my oil burner, and drop onto the wicks of our candles? I think that my signature autumn colour is probably going to be brown (predictable, I know!) with dashes of pumpkin thrown in.

I would love to hear about your ideas!

I hope you are all well and nobody else is suffering from flu, colds, sniffles or other afflictions that stop you enjoying these scrumptious Autumn days. If you are, remember, a drop of olbas oil on a vintage hanky, and a dash of vaseline around your nose so you don't end up doing a Rudolph impression!

2 comments:

fairytalesandflowers said...

I was wondering where you were, hope you are feeling much better sweetie

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better! I missed your posts!

Chris in Canada