Thursday 22 March 2012

Another Spring Evening

Today it was warm enough for me to slip outside at lunch time, and leave my coat behind. I had a few errands to run, and it was lovely breathing in the spring air, and feeling it against my skin. One of the lovely things on my list of lunchtime jobs was to deliver birthday cards and gifts to two friends who work in the library. I went to the market and chose bunches of orangey pink tulips and mystery daffodils for them. I love it when daffodils are so tightly in bud, that you have no idea what they will be like when they are open. Often they are traditional yellow, but sometimes you get those beautiful pale ones, and then there are the kind with the bright egg-yolk orange centres.

I finished in the office late afternoon and came straight home. Oh, how I love being at home! I have got bed linen laundering, all the windows open, and a pot of tea that I am working my way down. Sometimes I find being home alone a little quiet, so I have Little House On The Prairie on in the background. I have turned out the freezer, made a note of what I have got in there, and reorganized it. I have also made a note to find some interesting recipes for mince...it is something that I quite often pick up when it is on offer, and I hadn't realised I had quite so much!

In a little while I am going to go into the kitchen to make Tuesday Tarts from Attic24 (even though it is Thursday!). There will be enough for dinner, and then some left over for lunch tomorrow.

Walking home earlier, seeing so many branches frothing into blossom, I remembered a fact that Mum told me the other day - apparently it takes two weeks for spring to travel from Lands End to John O'Groats! I like that kind of useless information!

I found out my decopatch glue earlier. I don't think I am in the mood for it this evening, but I want to start decopatching some little plastic eggs. As Easter gifts for our family this year, I have brought some small baskets which I am going to line with shredded tissue paper in Easter colours. For each member of the family I am going to blow an egg, paint it and then paint their name on it. I am going to put in a few small decopatched eggs, and a handful of tiny foil wrapped chocolate eggs. The idea is that each year from now on I will give a new egg or two, so they will build towards an Easter Tree collection.

Perhaps this evening is more an evening for some gentle knitting. I have so many things I want to work on at the moment! I think perhaps I will either do a few rows on the red bolero I started a few weeks ago, or add another stripe to my ripple stitch crochet blanket. All I really want this evening is to light some candles, watch The Apprentice that I recorded last night, eat dinner and drink tea.

I don't know if I mentioned earlier this week, but I counted up and realised I have 5 jobs. 5! And I am in the middle of working 9 days straight. They aren't all whole days and it won't kill me, but I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to waking up on Wednesday morning!

Tomorrow I must remember to buy some cumin, cayenne pepper and paprika, as I want to make the cover recipe from this month's Vegetarian Living Magazine. They are halloumi spring rolls with a roasted cauliflower dressing and look really delicious. I will let you know how they go.

I seem to have strayed into rambling and musing rather than proper posting so I will leave you with my love for a beautiful spring evening,

love
Mimi
xxx

3 comments:

Kate said...

We've had the most gorgeous weather this week. In the mid seventies and one day hitting eighty degrees. We've been cooking on the BBQ all week. I love it and miss doing it in the winter. No pots or roasting pans to clean up afterwards! Mimi, when you say "mince" do you mean ground beef? My mum was Scottish and she used to call ground beef mince. None of my friends knew what I was talking about when I would say we're having mince for dinner tonight.

Back to more seasonal temperatures this weekend. Enjoy you're day off, you certainly deserve it!

Dinahsoar said...

Spring is 'springing' and it's glorious isn't it?! I was considering decoupaging some eggs this year, either with strips of old book print or with Victorian style Easter images. I'd purchased some plastic eggs to use for the project. But I ended up using them as favors for my birthday. I filled them with Easter colored M&M's, speckled pastel jelly beans, and smoked almonds, them taped them with Kawaii washi tape. Surprisingly the adults enjoyed them and the men were not embarrassed by them. (I love cute things! I found some sandwich bags with pastel jelly beans decorating them--of course I had to buy them.)

Five jobs--that's a lot of jobs..sometimes it's either famine or feast isn't it. And nine days in a row without a day off is a long stretch. I like how you still manage to enjoy life and do 'stuff' versus vegging out like so many would in your shoes.

Those spring rolls sound very interesting. I love spring rolls and summer rolls. I'm wondering if these halloumi rolls are deep fried? Roasted cauliflower is delicious, so the dressing for them sounds good to me too.

Susan Branch has a great spring post on her blog if you're interested. She lives on Martha's Vineyard and has posted several pics she has taken herself.

Oh--you might be interested in how to make a cute basket out of an inexpensive paper plate. It's a Martha Stewart idea, but I found the how to information/video at this link:

http://sarahhearts.com/2011-06-28/paperbaskets/

I made one, decorated it with crepe paper instead of washi tape, filled it with Easter grass and will add some colorful candy. These can be used for picnics too, just line with wax paper.

Wondering--do you use washi tape? I finally have some--had to order it online--and I can't get enough of it, so much so that I've taken to making my own, which is fun and a lot less expensive. I imagine washi tape in Japan is reasonably priced, but with import fees and such it makes it more costly here.

Happy Spring!

Debbie said...

Do you like curry? I have a recipe for Pakistani Kima, a mince curry which is quite unusual and one of our favourites. Send me an email if you'd like it (my email is on my blogger profile, just click on my name) :)