Sunday 30 December 2012

Thoughts On A New Year

I love this time on a Sunday afternoon, particularly in autumn or winter. It feels like a candle slowly burning down, giving the warmest and best light, and at the same time, you know it is going to flicker and smoulder soon. And so it is, not only is this that lovely dimly-lit time on a Sunday afternoon, the end of a weekend drawing closer, but it is the burnt-out candle-end of the year, as well.

Several friends have written lovely posts reviewing their year. This has been such a year, such a whirl, I can hardly get my head around it. I have been in the depths of gloom more than once, I have been sleepless with worry over my work, and now feel I have found my vocation in my new job. I have met some wonderful people. I have been to Paris, I have shared some amazing dinners and days with those who are special to me. I have performed burlesque on stage, turned 30, and worn red lipstick almost every day. It has been quite a year.

I can barely believe that tomorrow is the last day of 2012. I have lots to look forward to in the year ahead. I still have some uncertainty about work as I am on a temporary contract, but I feel that I am where I need to be at this time. I can't wait for burlesque classes to start again, and have also signed up to a ukulele workshop in January! At our annual New Year's Eve party, we go round the table and say one thing we have learnt this year. I had been planning to play the ukulele (which I had planned to learn in secret!) but that hasn't happened...but at least I can do it next year! And I have a card trick to demonstrate this year, which I learnt in a recent night out!

Next weekend I have a craft swap which I have organized with the lovely Carla from Ducking Fabulous, which will see 8 of the sweetest ladies I know gathering to exchange hand crafted goodies. Carl and I have decided we are definitely going back to Paris to explore further, and I also want to eat at Gordon Ramsay's again, see the view from the top of The Shard, go to a burlesque afternoon tea, and maybe, just maybe, this will be the year my novel finally gets written. More and more often, sentences are rising to the surface of my mind, like bubbles. I think it will start 'The moment the utterly improbable became the completely inevitable happened in a heartbeat.'

I am going to start reading the Persephone books in the order the were written. I am going to be following along Brocante Home's Year of Puttery Treats and also Simple Abundance. I am going to keep on wearing my red lipstick, and take up wearing seamed tights to go with it.

I love this feeling of a bright new year, glimmering ahead. A fresh start. Dreams to be made real. And I plan to blog about it all. I do hope you will join me, it just wouldn't be the same without you.

Happy New Year!

Love Mimi xxx

No comments: