Wednesday 10 June 2009

An Evening Study In Gray


Sometimes, grey can sound a little blah, a little negative, a little...well, grey. I love grey though. I like that you can spell it grey or gray, and although I know they are viscious and responsible for bullying the red squirrel, I love grey squirrels tight-rope walking along my fence. I am sitting here in a soft grey top that I got from Marks and Spencer today- reduced to £3! It is lightly ribbed and quite casual, which is very different to my usual clothes. On my head is the new fascinator that I bought this afternoon. It completely stole my heart, and I am busy thinking up places I could wear it too. It is just like this one, but in soft grey rather than shocking pink....actually having said it is the same, instead of those pink tentacles, it has a grey rose sewn on it!

I collected a new Persephone novel from the libray today, another by my beloved Dorothy Whipple. This time it is The Closed Door and Other Stories. I love the soft grey covers of Persephone novels. I am knitting a cabled hot water bottle cover, just like Jane Brocket did in The Gentle Art of Domesticity, in Debbie Bliss Cashmerino yarn. I love how the soft grey of the colour is reflected in the softness of the yarn between my fingers.

So all in all, this evening is indeed a study in grey, but the most cheerful one you can imagine!

1 comment:

Nita in South Carolina said...

I have two Persephones on order - A House in the Country, and The Peacetime Stories of Mollie Panter-Downes. Can't wait to get them. I've already read No Eggs and Few Oranges (or is it No Oranges and Few Eggs?) and just loved it. Also have the Wartime Stories of Mollie Panter-Downes.