Wednesday 7 October 2009

Vegetable Box Soup

I would not say that we ate an unvaried diet before we started getting our organic fruit and vegetable box delivered, but even after just three deliveries, we are definitely eating a much wider selection of treasures!

One of my favourite things is the coming up of new recipes with which to use up the treasures. Especially towards the end of the week, where some of the treasures are really ready to be used up. I had a big bunch of kale to use on Monday, and a friend coming to supper. What to cook? I remembered a rather tasty kale and turkey meatball soup that I used to make, but I had no turkey nor any other kind of meat with which to make meatballs. There was rosemary in that soup though, and that would definitley go with kale. What else, though, what else? A quick rummage through the box, and this is what I whipped up:

Vegetable Box Soup

On with a pinny! I have a Cath Kidston one made out of really heavy fabric...and big 70s style flowers. This kind of cooking calls for a more rustic pinny!

Peel and chop an onion, and soften on a low heat with a splash of oil or whisper of butter.

Peel and cube three medium potatoes, and throw in with the onion. Sprinkle over a good shake of dried rosemary, and stir it all together.

Add enough stock to cover everything, and more besides.

Simmer for about 15 minutes, until the potato is softening. Snip up the kale and throw it in, simmering for another 3 or 4 minutes.

Turn the whole lot into a liquidizer (I used my beloved Vitamix!) and whiz. It will be really too thick, so thin with some milk, grind in some black pepper, add a whisper of nutmeg, then whiz again.

You should have the most wonderfully vibrant green soup. Pour back into the pan to heat through. I served mine with croutons and grated cheese....bliss!

PS when it is time to do the washing up, you will of course need a pretty tea towel to make you smile. There are some gorgeous ones free with Easy Living magazine this month!

3 comments:

Dinahsoar said...

How exciting to find two posts on the same day on your blog! If your blog were a book I would not be able to put it down.

All the recipes sound wonderful, but your description of preparing them and all the rest makes the best reading. Everything sounds so cozy and charming...and no pictures necessary!! Your words are such that they paint pictures, no brush or camera needed. I just love imagining your life there in England.

BTW--I made the Savory Supper recipe--it was incredibly good..a keeper for sure. Husband loved it as well. Now I must make it for my daughter and her husband.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this delicious sounding recipe. I enjoy your cozy blog so much!

Flapper Flickers + Silent Stanzas said...

I love kale so. much. This sounds fabulous!

I found your blog today through BrocanteHome's archives; I absolutely love it!

Jennifer ^_^

http://silentstanzas.blogspot.com