Friday 6 June 2008

Not My Usual Friday

I love waking up on a Friday morning when it is not my Friday to work. Usually I can look forward to spending the day with my Mum, but today is going to be a little different to usual. I needed to stay at home this morning to wait for the oven repair man to come, and for another man to deliver a new washing machine! Mum had lots of little bits to do at home, so we decided to take a raincheck on our usual Friday.

I really love the posts Alison at Brocante Home does occasionally, where she details the comings and goings of her day, so I thought I would have a go at doing that today. I will pop back every now and again to update the post.

Friday morning...I opened my eyes to the soft light of our bedroom lamp, and heard Radio 4 marking seven o'clock as Carl set a cup of tea down for me. He told me not to get up and make his lunch but stay in bed instead. As much as I do love making him a packed lunch, a late night last night meant I was more than happy for the extra nap time! I got up at half past seven, washed and dressed (in my favourite dress du jour, a simple black dress, upon which I have sewn buttons in the shape of flowers) and got the kitchen in order. I took out the rubbish and recycling, and whilst I puttered about, putting away the drying up and so on, put some rhubarb, vanilla sugar and raspberries on to stew, and the kettle on to boil. I made a breakfast of coffee and homemade yoghurt layered with rhubarb and raspberry compote and banana, topped with muesli, tipped the rest of the kettle of boiling water down my sink, and settled down with the new issue of Marie Claire Idees.

The phone rang, and I had a lovely chat with Mum. It is alwasy so nice to catch up, and when I had finished chatting, I went about our dear little flat, flinging open all the windows to let in the cool morning air. I checked up on a book Mum had spotted for me on ebay (Laura Ingalls Wilder Cookbook) then settled down to knit on my sock, and watch Come Dine With Me on catchup tv (I love to plan out menus that I would serve for that show!) , but thought I would just do a little blogging first.....

One moment all was quiet in my little flat, the next it was full of hustle, bustle, men, and the most fearsome noises! Two men worked on removing our old washing machine and brining in the new one, whilst another got to work on mending the oven. I was slightly embarrased when they asked for an old towel to mop up some water, and I realised I don't have any! We only have our new wedding towels...and most of my tea towels are pretty vintage affairs. Happily I found some old ones at the back of the airing cupboard! There was a strange smell of something scorching, and then as rapdily as they arrived, the men left, leaving me with a fully working kitchen!

After a celebratory cup of tea, I popped to the shops to get some vanilla extract, milk and cupcake cases. When I got back, I whipped up some vanilla cupcakes for Ben's christening on Sunday. I made 30 in all, and iced each one with a letter, so when put together the cakes spelled out his name. I iced them in white, with blue lettering, and then sprinkled the whole lot with edible glitter. Well, I am a fairy godmother after all!

Vanilla Cupcakes

Tie on your floweriest apron, and think sparkly godmotherly thoughts. Put on some pretty music, and preheat the oven to 200 oC/180 oC fan/gas 6.

Place 12 cupcake cases in a bun/mufffin tin.

Heat 75ml milk in a saucepan until nearly boiling, then stir in 1oz butter until melted.

Meanwhile, sift 3oz plain flour and 1/2 tsp baking powder into a bowl.

In a separate bowl, whisk 2 eggs with 1tsp vanilla extract for about 5 minutes, until light and fluffy.

Whisk in 5oz caster sugar.

Whisk in the sifted flour and baking powder.

Whisk in the buttery milk mixture.

You will have a very runny batter; spoon it into the cupcake cases, and bake 10-15 minutes.

Mostly these come out nice and flat ready for the icing, but if you but mistakenly put in 1 1/2 tsp baking powder like I did, you will want to slice off the little peaks!

When the cakes are cool, stir 3-6 tbsp single cream into 6oz icing sugar, then beat in 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. The icing should be thin enough to spoon onto the cupcakes, but thick enough that it is opaque and you can't see any cake through.

Dust with edible glitter, and enjoy!

Evening falls, somehow....not entirely sure where the day has gone. I take a hot shower, trying out a new shampoo after my hair suddenly got tired of my old one...with my hair in a towel and my oh-so-soft dressing gown on, I settle on the sofa with a supper tray. I am so elegant tonight! I have fish pie for one, which is one of my favourite dinners, and a tiny bottle of babycham, which I drink, of course, from a vintage babycham glass. When I have finished this, there will be a tiny scoop of lemon sorbet, and a cup of tea. The lights are dim, and I have a dvd to watch - 'Cake' with Heather Graham, who looks very much like Goldie Hawn in this film. If you were here with me, we could paint our toes bright pink, and sample cup cakes whilst giggling over the film...

No comments: