Wednesday 18 March 2009

Springing Forth

Sunday was for me the first day of Spring. I don’t think that the first proper day of Spring can be determined by the date, or even by the weather, for last Sunday the morning was just as spring-like (although the afternoon was filled with hail!), but a sudden shift in the atmosphere, and a feeling you get. For me it is like Mole flinging down his whitewash brush and burrowing out into the spring air; of everything bursting forth in abundance, and my heart dancing along with the daffodils nodding in the breeze. The first day you can happily go out without your coat, and want to fling open every window to let out winter, and let in Spring.

How else to celebrate such a day than with a thorough airing of our little nest? All the washing went out to dry on the line in the breeze, and our windows were as open as they would go to let in that lovely breeze. I decluttered, hoovered everywhere (even along the ceiling in case of any tiny cobwebs!) scrubbed the kitchen and bathroom both, and then sat down with a cup of tea to drink it all in.

Carl asked me if I didn't think that I should be spending more of the day relaxing rather than working so hard. Whilst it sounded very tempting, I think that the feeling you get when everything is all neat and clean and tidy is just so scrumptious that it is worth the work!

One of the best bits about having a clean canvas is getting to pretty it all up. Along my windowsill I have a white velvet bunny peeking out, which I bought a year or so ago at Paperchase, a vase of daffodils, and three polyanthus. Oh, and a tiny bluebird on a clip that I bought in a florist on Friday. Such fun to come home to!

1 comment:

The Vintage Kitten said...

You write beautifully, you even make a Spring clean sound appealing. There is nothing better than the house all clean and tidy with the fresh smell of laundry airing on the Aga (and a cake baking in there too). Why dont men understand that women cant sit and relax in an untidy house?