Friday 7 September 2007

Scrumptious Breakfast

Breakfast is probably my favourite meal of the day. It never takes long to make, and I can have just what I fancy, as in the week, at least, I have my breakfast alone.

Whatever I have must always be accompanied by a nice, hot cup of tea. I have been enjoying greek yoghurt with berry compote recently, but as autumn creeps a little closer, I find myself wanting to start the day with something warming and cheering.

So now it is the time for toast that makes a crunch that echoes the scuffling through the leaves that I will do on the walk to work; for porridge with a swirl of golden syrup; for a boiled egg with soldiers; and maybe for a treat at weekends, smoked salmon scrambled eggs, or apple pancakes with rosehip syrup.

But this week, I have been revisiting an old fall favourite- it uses the apples that are becoming abundant, is quick and easy, but tastes like a real treat!

Take a pretty little bowl, and shake into it slightly less museli than you would normally have. (And please choose a good museli, not the kind that is like dust)! If you feel like it, stir through an extra sprinkle of raisins, and then stir in enough apple juice that it is nice and moist, but not so much that it is swimming. Grate half an apple, and muddle through. Top with a dollop of plain yoghurt, and dust with a whisper of cinnamon.

Take yourself off with your breakfast and a cup of tea, sit somewhere peaceful to enjoy, and as you eat, think of all the lovely things to come today...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your breakfast ideas sound wonderful! My favourite breakfast has to be a freshly-laid egg, poached on toast. Yum! With a hot cup of tea, Assam or English Breakfast - my favourite!

Sometimes at the weekends when there is more time, I make my husband pancakes, which he *loves*, with maple syrup - bliss!