Tuesday 31 May 2011

The Jane Austen Prescription

I mentioned in my previous post that I intend to read the works of Jane Austen in the order which they were written, and I must say that although I have made the smallest of beginnings, it really is a prescription to soothe the soul.

I was disappointed that Sense and Sensibility was on loan from the library, so I have it on order, but was pleased to find the BBC adaptation from 1981 on the shelf, so I took that home with me for the long weekend.

On Monday morning, we walked down to the park and took a turn about the pond, which has pretentions of being a lake, but does not have the size to match its attitude! On returning, I sat down with a pot of tea and the first of three and half hours of Sense and Sensibility, and my knitting, to practise a new pattern I am thinking of making a cushion in (Jane Brocket's String Of Pearls, from her new book The Gentle Art of Knitting. I have not yet got the book from the library, but the pattern was featured in a magazine).

Following the trials and tribulations of the Dashwood sisters, and knitting and sipping was soothing indeed. I know that my soon-to-be-reduced circumstances are not as terrible as those faced by the Dashwoods, or even by Jane herself, but it does feel odd to be suddenly faced with the reality of lots of little economies to make. I am trying to make it a good thing rather than a sad thing, by thinking of what Jane would have done and seeing myself as in the same boat as her.

I have always read books from the library, but I would have bought Jane Brocket's newest book right away, although from amazon. I am now waiting to read it from the library before I decide if I would like it, and will save up the pennies for it if I do want to buy it. Today I went to the market and rather than buy DMC thread for my cross stitch, I bought the cheaper 'venus' brand, in the nearest shade. I also bought another ball of wool for my crochet blanket, and felt happy that when I started it I decided to use an economy range rather than a premium range! I have packed my own lunch from home....all little things that are so easy to get out of the habit of doing when you earn a regular wage!

The next part of my Jane Austen cure will be to read Sense and Sensibility, when it arrives at the library, and perhaps watch another adaptation before moving on. I also have a lovely book at home that I bought in a charity shop years ago, which is all about the life and times of Jane Austen, so I may try a little craft project based on Sense and Sensibility, using the crafts that Jane would have done herself.

It's a funny thing, but when I have been reading or watching Austen, I find my thoughts forming in the kind of language she used!

Oh, and I have just read a delightful little novel, A Weekend With Mr Darcy, which has made me long to go back to Bath again. Perhaps that can be something else for me to save up for!

What lovely things are you saving up for at the moment?

Love,
Mimi
xxx

ps Dinah, what a lovely post you suggested, I really enjoyed it. Little pleasures and little miracles really make the world a brighter place, even on the darkest of days!

1 comment:

Dinahsoar said...

You said: "I am trying to make it a good thing rather than a sad thing, by thinking of what Jane would have done and seeing myself as in the same boat as her."

Good for you. Re-framing our thoughts is very helpful since our way of thinking often determines how we feel. In fact, what we are feeling is a clue to our thinking. So when we are feeling down, we are probably thinking in that vein too. All too often what I am feeling can get out of hand if I don't check my thinking.

You said: "I have packed my own lunch from home....all little things that are so easy to get out of the habit of doing when you earn a regular wage!"

Again, good for you. You are making lemonade out of your lemons.

I used to think nothing of spending a few dollars to grab a bite out. Then one day I decided I would be more savings minded and now I almost always either plan my outings after meals, or take a lunch with me. My favorite is a peanut butter and dill pickle sandwich. It keeps well, is cheap and honestly-- I enjoy it as much if not more than a fast food lunch. Getting into that habit is a good one I think and I am able to save or spend that saved money on other enjoyable things.

I think making a game or challenge out of economizing almost makes it fun.

And I reward myself for saving. I have a set amount I allow myself to spend for our weekly expenses. Whatever I save by economizing goes into a fund for me to spend as I wish. Hence I reward my frugality.

You are doing so well with your challenges. Someday you will look back on this time and have some good memories I think.