Wednesday 11 January 2012

By Request

Good morning!

I am just popping by before hopping in the shower and heading off to work (to my little library on top of the hill today). I wanted to share a few little things with you, two by request, one just from me!

Snowdrop walks...Dinah, sorry, I meant to mention this earlier! When the snowdrops bring the very first signs of the beginning of the end of winter, some gardens and National Trust properties arrange days where you can take yourself on a snowdrop walk. They are so beautiful to see it really is worth seeking one out. Luckily there is a wonderful garden near to me, The Gardens of Easton Lodge, which I have posted about before. Sadly they don't have the funds to open as often as they or we would like, but they do still open for two Sundays in February for the snowdrops, as well as a few Summer Sundays too. There is an article about snowdrop walks in the (English Version) of Country Living magazine this month. Country Living is the kind of magazine you need an entire pot of tea with, and perhaps a top up mid way through! It is sigh-makingly lovely!

And Ange, here is my recipe for Lentil and Egg Kedgeree, for Two. It is one of those recipes that is really simple to make, but tastes like it took more time, effort and ingredients! I think it is fairly storecupboardy too....I am rarely without lentils, rice, eggs or onions!

Lentil and Egg Kedgeree For Two

This recipe takes so little effort, you can go without putting on an apron...

Soften one chopped onion in a little oil, and then stir in 1 tsp mild curry powder (you can use a little more if you like it).

Add in 125g rice and 25g split red lentils, a bay leaf and a cinnamon stick (I have been known to use a pinch of cinnamon instead). Stir for about 2 minutes, to combine everything and warm it through.

Pour over 11 fluid ounces of stock (I tend to use chicken but use whatever you have to hand) bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes.

Turn off the heat and with the lid on, leave undisturbed for 10-12 minutes.

Meanwhile, boil 2 eggs. Ideally you want the yolks set so they don't run everywhere when you cut them in half to put on the kedgeree, but if you like a runny yolk, just be careful when you cut them!

Serve the kedgeree with the eggs on top and a good grating of cheese. Don't forget to take out the bay leaf and cinnamon stick!

My third thing is a request for you to keep your fingers crossed for me today...I havae a phone interview for a job that would be really nice for me. It is still in the library service, close to home, and would (hopefully!) fit around my existing hours, and bring me up to 2 hours or so shy of being full time. I really hope that it works out. It is a temporary contract but I believe it will be extended, and although it wont be good for forever, it would be good for now!

Wishing you all a lovely Wednesday,

love
Mimi
xxx

Ps another Daisy Dalrymple mystery to add to the Great 2012 Library Project! This time, Styx and Stones, about a poison pen writer and a murder in a churchyard. I was expecting a twist at the end which didn't come....perhaps a sign that I need to give this series a rest just for a little while! Another £6.99/£5.59 saved, depending where you shop!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Thank you! Will try the recipe very soon. And I'm crossing my fingers for your interview. hope it goes well. Ange x

Debbie said...

Thanks for the information about the snowdrops at Easton Lodge, Mimi, I will write those dates in my diary and might even see you there! (not in a creepy-stalker-way, honest :) )

Dinahsoar said...

Thanks Mimi...this is similar to our Dogwood Trails in the U.S...I love kedgeree and make it India style which is very similar to your recipe, minus the chicken stock and egg. Hope your interview went well!