Sunday 15 January 2012

Slow Sundays

I love a little rhythm and routine, watching the changing seasons, feeling the difference between the mornings and evenings. Over the last year or two, our weekends have slipped into a lovely routine, and we have resolved to try and stick to it this year.

Saturday is our day for adventures, if I am not working. Or, if I am working, as I am two Saturdays in four, then it is a smaller afternoon adventure. Last weekend we had a trip to Colchester, had lunch with my lovely sister and her husband, and then looked round the Castle museum and a smaller museum. Yesterday we had tea at the new tea rooms, which I have since discovered are called Small Talk Tea Rooms, and then went for a long walk around Hylands Park. It was frosty, but bracing and really enjoyable.

Sundays are for relaxing, a pause to savour the day and think back on the week that has been and anticipate the week to come. We usually have breakfast out, then bring home the newspapers, sit and read, watch a film on the tv, cook, perhaps a long bath...it is really lovely, and I believe, very good for the soul.

This afternoon we were in the post-breakfast, post-newspaper phase. A pot of tea had been drunk, shortbread biscuits had been consumed. I was catching up on some blogs, when I noticed that a knitting group that meets in the library I used to work in was meeting in five minutes times. I have just started knitting a Noah's Ark set for my godchildren, and seeing as I am going to be working in the same building again, I thought it would be good for me to go back. So with a swift kiss for Carl, I gathered my knitting and hurried down, and I am so glad I went. It is a small group, but a really friendly one, and there was a lot of variety in the knitting. I was the only one knitting an elephant, but there was a nativity set being knitted, two scarves, a tank top for a new baby and one other thing which slips my mind.

I hurried back home in the fading light, and found myself wishing, not for the first time, that there was a way to stretch out Sundays and make them last longer. The evening holds more reading and knitting, possibly catching up with Sherlock on tv, a bath, and maybe the new issue of Country Living magazine. I am somewhat late to the Sherlock party, but everyone was talking about it at the knitting group, so I shall try it. I am recording Call The Midwife, as I am reading the book at the moment. When it is finished, I shall add it to my Great Library Project list.

Slow Sundays in January....they are wonderful for their slowness, and feel like a cosy blanket to be wrapped around.

Wherever you are, I hope your teapot is full, and that you are having a lovely Sunday.

Love,
Mimi
xxx

1 comment:

Dinahsoar said...

Sounds like a perfect weekend. I'd love to traipse around England. A couple of the other British blogs I read post pictures of their jaunts and I thoroughly enjoy sharing the adventure. Castles, museums, walks in the park and gardens, tea rooms, taking tea, the English countryside--sounds wonderful to me.