Monday 9 July 2012

Dinner

Sometimes I can go for weeks without stumbling across a new blog or website which really interests me, and other times I find several all at once. Happily this has been a good week for blog discoveries. Carl found me reading this today
http://tastyherbalist.typepad.com/modernhousewifevoli/2012/01/smokey-meal.html
The blog is called The Modern Housewife Series Volume 1 and is written by 3 different ladies. When he noticed the title, he said, slightly wonderingly, 'your ambition really is to be the best housewife in the world, isn't it?' Well actually, I have to say, no. I want to be the best housewife I can be, to keep a welcoming home and put healthy tasty food on the table and give comfort and hospitality to all those who visit me. But not in a competitive way, just because it is the right thing to do way.
I cooked the recipe linked to above for dinner tonight, making a few tweaks here and there. I had everything I needed except for some kale, and the local shop yielded only spinach, so I went ahead and used that. After I added the ginger, I didn't think it was quite gingery enough, so I used a pinch of powdered ginger to give it a boost. I also had a tiny piece of cheddar to use, so I spread a layer of the beany butternut squash puree across a plate, grated over the cheese, then topped with the gingery tomatoey spinach.
It was really filling, and very flavourful, definitely one to make again. I think I will have to give some of the other recipes on the website a try too.
What did you have for dinner tonight?

2 comments:

Debbie said...

We had a takeaway, so no use of my housewifery skills, such as they are! It was my brother's 40th birthday, and we always get together on special days at my parents' house. There was me, my husband and son, my brother and my parents and we shared a lovely evening of fun and laughter and family memories, over a Chinese takeaway and a bottle of wine. Good times.

Dinahsoar said...

Dinner tonight--Monday--was a hamburger steak. (Not very exciting I know, but it was organic beef, humanely raised without hormones or antibiotics and only vegetarian feed. I'm having to eat a lot of beef due to low iron stores. For many years now I've rarely eaten beef, and not a lot of meat. I guess it is catching up with me.)

Our sides were from our garden--sauteed yellow squash and onions, large slices of Cherokee tomatoes (grown from heirloom plants with saved seed)and slices of cucumber; and some new red potatoes steamed until tender and then tossed with a smidge of butter, salt and pepper--the reds were from the market.

It was simple fare but tasted delightful.