Sunday 25 January 2009

Mimi Makes Lemon Curd

At a family gathering last week, I revealed that my main plan for the weekend was to make some lemon curd; one of my relatives remarked that I am 'a real little homemaker'. I hadn't really thought of it like that, but I do love the comforts of home, and making it just as nice as can be, and an important part of that for me, is having scrumptious things to serve at my table.

Today was a gloomy, rainy Sunday afternoon, the perfect kind of January weather for pottering about in the kitchen. With a full cup of tea, and the Puppini sisters playing, I sallied forth...

Mimi's Lemon Curd

4 lemons
4 eggs
4oz butter
1lb sugar

First, put a saucepan of water on to boil, with a pyrex bowl on top, not touching the water.

Cut the butter into tiny cubes, and put into the bowl along with the sugar, and the juice and zest of the lemons.

(I used my zester rather than grating the zest in. Less delicate perhaps, but I love strands of lemon zest).

Pour in the beaten eggs, and stir over a gentle heat.

You have to be careful- too hot and not enough stirring, and you will get lemony scrambled eggs- ugh - not enough heat and it wont thicken.

When it thickens (it will thicken more as it sets) pour into sterilized jam jars and seal.

I have to say that this was a real joy to make. It made two largeish jars....recipe books always advise using small jars, as it does not keep well (8 weeks in the fridge) but I shall keep a jar and give a jar, and I am sure it won't last long! It is simplicity itself, and the kitchen was filled with the most marvellous refreshing scent of lemons. Yellow has never been my favourite colour, I usually find it too harsh, but there are some shades of yellow that are the colour of spring to me....daffodils, crocuses, and lemon curd!

I have plans to eat it with soft white bread, to stir it into thick plain yoghurt, and to perhaps use it as a filling in cake, too.

I hope your afternoon has been full of zest too!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh Mimi, it sounds delicious! I had never thought of putting lemon curd into yoghurt, but I think it would definitely be a great idea :)