Tuesday 12 July 2011

The Scent of Scones

This afternoon I have had a strong reminder of why it is so important to get ready for Christmas early! I had to go to HQ for a meeting, and was given some work to do....a giant ringbinder stuffed full to sort and collate the information from. So I put it in my bag, carried it on my shoulder and went home via the town, where I had to buy some supplies for a retirement lunch at work tomorrow. As time went on I was feeling hot and bothered, weighed down and ready for lunch. By the end, I had my handbag, the bag with the ringbinder in it, 6 loaves of bread, 4 cucumbers, 4 tubs of cream cheese, 2 bags of walnuts, paper bowls, napkins, balloons, cling film, Whittards instant iced elderflower tea, scone ingredients.....looking at that written down it doesn't look so bad, but it was really heavy, and I felt like a little donkey at the end of it!

That feeling of being hot and weighed down is something that I really, really hate, which is why it is so important for me to avoid that at Christmas when the crush in the shops is even worse than usual!

But this is not one of my Christmas Jingle Belles posts, it is just a post about how lovely it is to be at home with the windows open, with the scent of baking scones wafting through the flat. Bliss!

After I have washed up from teh scone making, I plan to have a warm bath with my new bergamot and lavender bubble bath to recover from my exertions, read a hand-me-down copy of The Lady, and start to think about what is next on the job front. I had not heard from the last job I applied for, so I emailed to ask about it, and they told me that 300 people had applied! How do I compete with 300 people? I am starting to feel a little bit desperate over the whole situation.

To take my mind off of things, I have been reading the archives of some blogs I enjoy. Diary of a Vintage Girl is an old favourite, and my newly discovered www.ahappyhomeisaretrohome.blogspot.com is enjoyable reading too.

Wherever you are, I hope you are having a lovely afternoon

love
Mimi
xxx

1 comment:

Dinahsoar said...

Wow--you were weighted down--that was a lot to carry. Sounds like you are staying busy.

Don't worry yourself that there are 300 applicants. You can't do anything about that. Just stay busy with your life. Remember this: behind the scenes things are being 'arranged'by the Almighty.

AND...may I ask how to make a 'real', i.e. by a real British regular person for regular British people, cucumber sandwich? I assume that is why you had the bread, cream cheese, etc. I've seen many versions but I'd like the real deal from a true Brit. As well, when you are making a large amount, can they be made ahead?

I've been busy this week and I'm a little behind in my reading. Have not read your previous post. Will get to it soon. When I saw the title of this post "The Scent of Scones" it drew me here straightway. LOL...being a foodie and lover of all things British I couldn't resist taking a minute to read and comment.