Tuesday 11 September 2012

Tales of a Sleepy Mimi

I have mentioned before that I am working long hours recently - it is a curious thing that from when I settle at my desk with a cup of tea (in a cup and saucer of course) holding my pebble from the Aldeburgh beach, to the time I switch off the light and slip home seems to elapse in the blink of an eye...how can it be home time already when I haven't done this or that or even start this? And yet at the same time, how can it still be the same day, when I have done so much?

Last night, I dozed off on the sofa, and so decided to put myself to bed. I snuggled down at about 10:00pm and was soon fast asleep. Suddenly, I had a rude awakening! There was a roar, and what sounded like a lorry pulled up outside our little flat. I actually thought it was morning when I woke up, and it was one of the recycling lorries. As I blinked the sleep away, I realised it was only 10:30pm and opened the window to investigate. I was right, it was a recycling lorry, and it was right outside our window. Having done their recycling, the men were happily sitting in their lorry cab with the engine running having a good old chat. Well the next thing I knew was that I was standing their, in the street, in my dressing gown and slippers banging on his window and asking him to ssshhhhhhhhhhh! As people were trying to sleep!

When I woke up this morning, I couldn't find my dressing gown. It turns out that when I got home last night, I hung it up like a coat!

I am beginning to feel that I am finding my feet at work. Today was so, so hectic - my lunch hour came at 6:00pm, but I feel like I proved myself a little bit. That feels good, and I hope it continues!

I am sitting in the living room this evening on my own, as Carl is out at Supper Club. I have watched the Great British Bake Off, which I love, and am sipping a cooling cup of tea. The window is open and the breeze that blows through is really chilly, but so pleasant and refreshing, like an ice cube in a glass of water on a warm day. I am really relishing this gentle slide into the start of autumn. When I walked to work this morning, I saw a beautiful scattering of leaves on the pavements. I am not entirely sure where they came from, as the trees are still green, but it is like the first whisper, again.

Carl and I took a lovely walk in the park on Sunday. We always feel better somehow for going there. Perhaps it is being amongst the greenery and wildlife, or just stretching our legs and getting some fresh air, but we love it there and feel very lucky to live so close. While we were wandering through on Sunday, we decided that we would try and remember to take a photograph from the same vantage point every Sunday, so we can see the seasons change on film.

I would love to carry on and continue this evening chatter, but the clock is creeping towards half past ten, and bed is calling me - hopefully without the recycling van tonight!

Wherever you are, I hope you are having a peaceful evening
Love Mimi xxx

No comments: