Wednesday 4 November 2009

A New Book

Although working in a library, and being a library member saves me thousands of pounds a year in books, I do still spend some of my pennies on them. Sometimes, there is a book that I just can't wait to read, and other times there are books that are so scrumptious, I know that I want to own them, not just borrow them.

One book that I was very excited about was Cath Kidston's new book, Sew. Although I enjoyed her previous book, Make, I was a little disappointed that there was not much actual making in it, mainly embellishing bought things. (Which is not a bad thing in itself, but much better if she had called the book Embellish instead!)

I started to hear that Sew had very positive reviews, and I doubted that the library would buy it, becuase it comes with the fabric and haberdashery to make a bag, so decided to treat myself.

I found it at rather a good price on amazon, and ordered it early to avoid the postal strikes. And waited. And waited. And waited some more! I reported it missing not once but twice, so they sent me a new copy, and a month after my first order, it arrived.

It makes me want to pull out my sewing basket right away and start stitching. Apart from the bag, there are so many lovely projects in it. Naturally the majority of them are made in Cath Kidston fabric, but you could of course use other...although she has started a range of craft fabric which is cheaper than her normal range, so for a special project, the cost should not prove prohibitive.

There is a lovely pattern for bird or heart shaped lavender bags...I think they would make lovely Christmas gifts! Also, a patchwork blanket that I would like to make next time one of my friends has a baby.

They styling in the book is really delicious, and makes me want to embark on a Cath Kidston spree...but as I have been Christmas Shopping online today, and also have a sizeable stack of Christmas magazines to work through, I shall be restrained!

No comments: