Wednesday 4 November 2009

Things I Have Learnt Today

Already, at 6:00 in the evening, the inky darkness is pressed against my windows, and I am sitting in a pool of lamplight. I have not done some of the things that I thought that I would (or should!) today, such as making some Christms cards, or working on Christmas gifts, but it has been a lovely day.

One of my dear friends visited me and I cooked my favourite green risotto (it is a Nigella recipe, where you puree some cooked peas with butter, parmesan, black pepper and nutmeg, then beat it into the risotto at the end of cooking time), I have had a hot bath, many cups of tea, read a little, visited the internet a little; and this is what I have learnt today:

1) Sometimes, having a day not go to plan is a good thing. I have not made any Christmas cards today, but I have had a thoroughly lovely day anyway

2) It is wise to check with your little brother before you buy something from his amazon wish list. My suspicions were raised that it was not very current when there were only two items on it, and both of those were no longer available new...luckily I checked before buying, because he had forgotten he had a wish list, and already had both things on it!

3) Just as you think a particular magazine is losing its sparkle, the next issue, the one that you think will be the last one you buy turns out to be fantabulous and amazing. Easy Living has a fab gold notebook for 'bright ideas' free with it, a great interview with Kirstie Allsopp (one of my favourite ladies!) and was completely back on form.

4) Aforesaid lovely Kirstie Allsopp has made a followup to Kirstie's Homemade Home....Kirstie's Homemade Christmas, to be shown in December on Channel 4. I can't wait!!

5) Scarlett Johansson is multi talented! I have always loved her as an actress, and wish I could emulate her retro-hollywood glamour look, but now discover she can sing, too! (Click on the title of this post to listen, and admire her new brunette look). I think she sounds a little like Amy Winehouse....without all the drink and drugs!

6) Most of the ladies I know love Richard Armitage, and will be glued to the tv tonight to watch him in Spooks. None of us fancy Harry, but are all very sure that they must not kill him off, or we shall be marching on BBC HQ!

I hope you are having a scrumptious snuggly evening,

Love, Mimi xxx

3 comments:

fairytalesandflowers said...

Sooooooooooooooooo excited about Kistie's new show

Dinahsoar said...

Welcome back! I've been missing your posts..my daughter reads your blog too, and she has missed you as well. I've very sorry to hear about your loss and your father's current health issues. I hope it all goes well. As always, I've enjoyed hearing about your daily life.

The Vintage Kitten said...

Oh Thankyou for letting us know, I didnt know Kirstie had another show coming. She is one of my favourites too X