Sunday 17 April 2011

Wedding Bells

I am sure you won't be surprised to know that I am really looking forward to the wedding of Kate Middleton and Prince William! I love weddings anyway, and I also admire (most of!) our Royal Family. I love the image of England as seen from the outside, of red telephone boxes and buses, of guards in their tall hats and so on...and really, I think that our royal occasions really do show us off in our best light! I know that there are plenty of people who are not interested, but there are lots of us who are, and I love the idea that up and down the country there will be hundreds and thousands and more of us all watching that little piece of history at the same time. I am a similar age to Kate Middleton, and while I am quite content with my own prince, it is odd to think that it could have been any of us walking up the steps to Westminster Abbey! I like her personal style (although she is not very vintage!) and swishy hair, and am looking forward to seeing her dress. There has been endless debates and speculation in our newspapers and magazines about what she will wear, if she will have a tiara, how she will wear her hair. I find some of it quite amusing, because on one hand it really doesn't matter, but on the other hand it is quite interesting. One discussion that I did think was pretty pointless though was asking several hairdressers how they would style Kate's hair for the big day. One of them was talking about a loose unstructured style, and I have to say that I would be really surprised if she went for something like that, because at the end of the day, it is quite a formal occasion! Have I mentioned that I am going to have a little Royal Wedding Tea Party at home? I have invited some friends round and I am going to hang up my wedding bunting, get out my flowery crockery, and bake some cakes and make cucumber sandwiches. I believe we might play games of guessing what colour the bridesmaids will be wearing, and that kind of thing. I am really looking forward to it but a little shocked at how quickly it seems to be coming round! I haven't planned the menu as much as I need to yet, nor gone shopping for things for party bags! (I am thinking of a royal wedding mug, and slices of cake in the kind of boxes you have at weddings, and perhaps those bubbles that come in little bottles in the shape of champagne bottles!). It is hard to think that the day after that, we get the keys to our new flat! This summer, I will have been married for four years. I can hardly believe it, it feels like it was yesterday, but at the same time it feels like we have always been married too! I hope that Prince William and Kate Middleton will have a happy marriage too. They are facing many more challenges than we did, and I think they will have to be strong. Sunday seems to have slipped away today, although we have got lots done. Poor Carl did not come home from work till half past eleven last night, so I let him sleep in this morning, and then we went for breakfast to a lovely little garden nursery which is just around the corner to us. It was warm enough to sit outside, and one of their hens was wandering about while we were eating, pecking at the grass and looking enquiringly at our legs! It really is a pretty place, called 'The Secret Garden' and considering it took us 5 years to find it, I think it earns its name! Right, must tie on my pinny and cook us some dinner. Wherever you are, I hope that you are having the most scrumptious Sunday! Love, Mimi xxx Ps Dinah, thank you for your lovely comments on my posts! Your Easter crafting this year and in past years sounds delightful. Do you blog too? You really should! x

1 comment:

Dinahsoar said...

The image of England from the outside is one I love. I've always had a great affectation for England and feel a kinship with her.

The royal wedding--Kate is beautiful and she and William seem well suited. When Princess Diana married Prince Charles my daughter was 12 years old and soooo excited. She stayed up into the wee hours of the morning to watch the wedding on the TV. I didn't have the heart to tell her she couldn't because she had school the next day. How often does one get to see such a royal event?

Your tea party will be much fun and it's good I think you are not letting moving the next day deter you from it. The occasion will be long remembered. You're ideas for food, treats and games are perfect I think.

The Secret Garden--what a treasure you have discovered. I know I'd love it. I'd be kicking myself wishing I'd found it sooner.

I do have a blog-- http://www.dinahsoar.blogspot.com--from which I have been taking a break for about a month now...it's mostly about my weight loss saga.

I much prefer to read blogs--especially English blogs, craft blogs, art blogs and decor blogs.

Your blog is a pleasure to read, you do such fun things and have great ideas and thoughts. I appreciate the time you put into it, sharing your corner of the world.

Many blogs post a lot of photos, and while I enjoy them, I especially enjoy the descriptions you write--you paint pictures of your life with your words. And I vicariously get to experience life in jolly ole England.