Monday 16 April 2007

Cinema Mimi

Oh, how I love films! I love to go to the cinema, although we don’t manage it very often. I think perhaps it stems from my love of reading, and stories- getting to see a story, as it were. I love the glamour of vintage Hollywood.

When I saw the film of the Enchanted April, I was utterly captivated. On Sunday Carl had to work, so I sat at home and made wedding invitations while watching Mrs Miniver. I have to say that I much prefer the book, but the film was very enjoyable too. I have an Audrey Hepburn boxed set that I am working my way through. I have had them a year now, and only watched three- I feel like I don’t want to ‘use them up’ too quickly. A bit how I feel about Amelie- I have only watched it once, and I fell in love with it. I feel that if I watch it too often, I will spoil it somehow. And yet other films, I have to watch if not often, at least regularly. (Miracle on 34th Street for example. It is not Christmas without it!)

Carl really loves films as well, although he likes more modern things- and has an utterly encyclopaedic knowledge! We can flick a channel, see the merest snippet of a film, and he knows what it is. So on Saturday I signed us up for a dvd-hire service. Not terribly vintage or glamorous, or so it seems on the surface! I have put down lots of blockbuster style titles for Carl, and then lots of Doris Day, Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn for me! Now that dear Carl gets home so much later than me, I should have time some evenings to slip into my slinky pink robe, pour myself a gin and tonic, and watch a vintage film before serving dinner!

No comments: