Sunday 20 March 2011

Feeling Myself

Although I love the vintage look, I don't have a lot of vintage in my wardrobe. Partly because authentic vintage is expensive to buy, and also the sizes were a lot smaller back then. Also, while the high street sometimes has vintage inspired clothes to buy, it does not happen as often as you would think, and the shops that do have them more ofen (think Cath Kidston and her delightful tea dresses!) are beyond my purse.

So imagine my delight when I popped into Peacocks and found not one but two vintage style floral dresses, and a little cardigan that went with both of them! And not more than three days later, I found in Sainsbury's a bright red and white polka dot swimming costume that just screams vintage!

I tend not to buy new clothes very often at all, and when I do, it tends to be because I have stumbled across something that I like, rather than proper Wardrobe Planning where I think about what I need to buy! I think that I definitely want to have more vintage-inspired clothes in my wardrobe, as they do feel 'me' and make me walk with a bounce in my step.

On Thursday, I had morning coffee with my lovely friend Anna, who also loves all things vintage, and has recently had an amazing Bettie Page style fringe cut in. We sat in a tea shop together, her in vintage style high-waisted trousers and a top with bright red cherries on it, and me in my floral dress and little cardigan, with red lipstick. It made me smile to realise that we both looked as though we could have stepped out of another era, but it also made me smile to really feel myself, and to feel that my clothes reflect how I feel.

The second floral dres that I bought from Peacocks reminds me of the kinds of dresses that my Gran used to wear. On one hand it feels a bit odd to want to wear dresses that my Gran would have worn, but on the other hand, it makes me feel very connected to my ancestry, if that makes sense.

I can forsee my 'uniform' for this summer being floral dress, little cardi, flick of black eyeliner and a sweep of red lipstick!

1 comment:

Dinahsoar said...

I love the look of the forties and fifties...those are some good memories. I don't wear vintage but I love to see others wear it.