Tuesday 22 March 2011

Stepping Back In Time

Given my profession, you would think that I of all people should know everything that goes on in libraries...but it is a sphere in which it is impossible to know everything which is a secret you soon come to know. Instead you need to know who to ask, or where you heard or saw something...

This morning I took a walk around the big library at the bottom of the hill, just to 'reconnect' as it were after my week off, and see what I could see that was new and different. As well as a few displays, I found a small pile of leaflets, and I am really excited by what I read on them!

I am obviously late to this party, but there is a blog which is publishing the diaries of Colchester man, 70 years to the day since they were written, so you can follow the home front side of World War 2 as it happened. I love social history and have an interest in WW2, and also Colchester is local to me, so I shall be reading to catch up what I have missed so far!

The BBC are covering the project today...and you can read for yourself about the wartime adventures of E J Rudsdale here: http://wwar2homefront.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

Dinahsoar said...

Wow--just took a gander at the blog/diary...it's a must read. I've always been very interested in that era and the War. As a child I took note of my mother's extreme dislike of anyone German--it was not long after the war ended-- and I never understood why. Later, with the passage of time mom moved past her extreme dislike of Germans in general and in fact became best friends with a woman who came to the U.S. from Germany and eventually became a U.S. citizen. I guess time does heal many wounds. But it is good to take note of what transpired in the past, so that we might learn and not make mistakes or miss important cues.

Thanks for sharing the link.

Nita in South Carolina said...

How exciting! I am addicted to British WWII diaries! Can't wait for lunchtime so I can go read!

Yvonne said...

Hope you have a great birthday tomorrow Mimi! I have the day off and am planning on celebrating another year by indulging in a little shopping and a little crafting.